The law is exclusive in that it lists those employers NOT required to carry Workers' Compensation Insurance. Spouses, children, cousins and all kinfolk are included in counting employees. All part time employees are included in the counting of employees.
The law may be found at Tennessee Code § 50-6-106.
§ 50-6-106. Employments not covered. [Effective July 1, 2014]
This chapter shall not apply to:
(1) (A) Any common carrier doing an interstate business while engaged in interstate commerce, which common carrier and the interstate business are already regulated as to employer's liability or workers' compensation by act of congress, it being the purpose of this law to regulate all such business that the congress has not regulated in the exercise of its jurisdiction to regulate interstate commerce; provided, that this chapter shall apply to those employees of the common carriers with respect to whom a rule of liability is not provided by act of congress; provided, further, that no common carrier by motor vehicle operating pursuant to a certificate of public convenience and necessity shall be deemed the employer of a leased-operator or owner-operator of a motor vehicle or vehicles under a contract to such a common carrier
(B) Notwithstanding subdivision (1)(A), a leased operator or a leased owner/operator of a motor vehicle under contract to a common carrier may elect to be covered under any policy of workers' compensation insurance insuring the common carrier upon written agreement of the common carrier, by filing written notice of the contract, on a form prescribed by the administrator, with the division; provided, that the election shall in no way terminate or affect the independent contractor status of the leased operator or leased owner/operator for any other purpose than to permit workers' compensation coverage. The election of coverage may be terminated by the leased operator, leased owner/operator, or common carrier by providing written notice of the termination to the division and to all other parties consenting to the prior election. The termination shall be effective thirty (30) days from the date of the notice to all other parties consenting to the prior election and to the division
(2) Any person whose employment at the time of injury is casual, that is, one who is not employed in the usual course of trade, business, profession or occupation of the employer;
(3) Domestic servants and employers of domestic servants;
(4) Farm or agricultural laborers and employers of those laborers;
(5) In cases where fewer than five (5) persons are regularly employed, except as provided in § 50-6-902; provided, that in those cases the employer may accept this chapter by filing written notice of the acceptance with the division at least thirty (30) days before the happening of any accident or death, and may at any time withdraw the acceptance by giving like notice of withdrawal;
(6) The state, counties of the state and municipal corporations; provided, that the state, any county or municipal corporation may accept this chapter by filing written notice of the acceptance with the division under the administrator, at least thirty (30) days before the happening of any accident or death, and may at any time withdraw the acceptance by giving like notice of the withdrawal. The state, any county or municipal corporation may accept this chapter as to any department or division of the state, county or municipal corporation by filing written notice of acceptance with the division under the administrator, at least thirty (30) days before the happening of any accident or death and may, at any time, withdraw acceptance for the division or department by giving like notice of the withdrawal, and the acceptance by the state, county or municipal corporation for any department or division of the state, county or municipal corporation shall have effect only of making the department or division designated subject to the terms of this chapter; or
(7) Any person performing voluntary service as a ski patrolperson who receives no compensation for the services other than meals, lodging or the use of ski tow or ski lift facilities or any combination of meals, lodging and the use of ski tow or ski lift facilities.