Insurors of Tennessee Provides Tips for Homeowners Affected by the Sevier County Wildfires
Nashville, Tenn., December 1, 2016 – Thousands of people have been affected by the recent wildfires in Sevier County, Tennessee. Many of these individuals have had severe damage to or total loss of their homes. The Insurors of Tennessee, a trade association of independent insurance agents, has put together the following tips for homeowners to keep in mind as they go through the claims process.
• If your property has been damaged or destroyed by fire contact your insurance company or agent with as much relevant information as you have.
• Take photographs of the damage. Inventory what has been lost.
• Save all receipts.
• If you are able, make any repairs to avoid further damage.
What Is Covered by Standard Homeowners Insurance?
Most standard homeowners insurance policies include four essential types of coverage:
• Coverage for the structure of your home – most policies pay to repair or rebuild your home if damaged or destroyed by fire
• Coverage for your personal belongings – personal items such as furniture and clothes are covered if destroyed by fire. Coverage is generally 50-70% of the insured value of the home
• Additional living expenses if you are temporarily unable to live in your home because of an insured disaster – will cover hotel bills, meals and other costs while living away from your home, there are limits to this coverage
• Liability protection – cost of defense should someone be injured on your property
For more complete information visit the Insurance Information Institute website at http://www.iii.org/article/what-covered-standard-homeowners-policy
The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance (TDCI) has established a Community Resource Center in Pigeon Forge. It will open Thursday, Dec. 1 in the Boyd’s Bear parking lot at 149 Cates Lane in Pigeon Forge. The Community Resource Center will have:
• Numerous insurance carriers on-site with mobile emergency teams.
• Representatives from the Tennessee Department of Labor available to help facilitate the unemployment filing process.
• TDCI Consumer Insurance team members who can help answer questions and provide information.
• Officials to provide forms to apply for building permits and provide guidance for that process for both residential and commercial buildings.
The Community Resource Center will be staffed Monday through Saturday from 9 am to 4 pm and Sunday from 1 pm to 4 pm EST - See more details at http://tn.gov/commerce/news/47135#sthash.g9Y5tAd6.dpuf
Insurors of Tennessee is a trade association that was founded in 1893 and currently represents over 500 independent insurance agencies in Tennessee. Its members offer consumers a “Trusted Choice” of insurance companies, advocacy and professional advice for all their insurance needs. To find an independent insurance agent in your community, visit www.trustedchoice.com.