Becoming a Licensed Agent
An "Insurance Producer" is a person required to be licensed under the laws of the State of Tennessee to sell, solicit or negotiate insurance.
1. The applicant is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
2. Resides in Tennessee.
3. The applicant is competent, trustworthy, financially responsible, and has a good business reputation.
4. The applicant is required to pass a written examination and complete a pre-licensing course of study thru an approved education provider for each line of insurance for which an insurance license is requested.
If you hold a P&C license, you do not need a Personal Lines license. Personal lines and commercial are included.
Persons interested in becoming a licensed agent in the State of Tennessee should:
- Obtain a Uniform Application for Resident Individual Insurance Producer License.
- This application can be found at the back of a candidate handbook.
- Complete the pre-licensing education requirement for the line(s) of insurance for which you wish to be licensed.
Licensing and Pre-licensing Through Kaplan Financial
Insurors members can now receive 20% off on Pre-Licensing and CE courses available through Kaplan Financial. Kaplan offers live and online classes, as well as self-study options and a variety of integrated study tools.
Members can visit the Kaplan website and use the discount code INSTN to get a 20% discount on Pre-Licensing and CE courses.
For pre-licensing classes contact:
Members may use code INSTN for a 20% discount
Schedule an examination with Pearson Vue
PO Box 8588
Philadelphia , PA 19101-8588
If you have additional questions please call the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance at 1-888-416-0868 or (615) 741-2693 or visit the Tennessee Department of Insurance's website: www.state.tn.us/commerce